How Manual Lymphatic Drainage MLD can help your body
The benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage MLD can be enormous. In recent years, we have seen an increased number of patients looking for this treatment. The reason why they want the treatment varies from patient to patient. Some of them just had cosmetic surgery and they want to recover faster; pregnant ladies want to reduce excess fluids, patients with autoimmune diseases want to make their systems work better; Cancer patients want to eliminate fluids from the area; other patients just want to eliminate toxins, and so on.
In this article we share with you how MLD can help your body and the multiple benefits of this treatment.
So, let’s start with the basis.
What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
Manual lymphatic Drainage is a type of massage that favors the lymphatic and immune system. It is a gentle form of massage specially performed to increase the flow of lymph, a colorless fluid that flows through the lymphatic vessels and drains toxins and cellular debris.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage consists of slow, gentle and circular movements performed in one direction. Your therapists will use her/his fingers or palms throughout your body in the direction of the lymphatic circulation. It is not a painful procedure, on the contrary, it is very relaxing. As it serves to promote the elimination of toxins, it also provides a feeling of well-being during and after the procedure.
What is the lymphatic system?
Your lymphatic system (part of your immune system) is a network of organs (vessels and nodes) that moves back a fluid called lymph into your bloodstream. The lymphatic system has many functions, some of them are:
- Protects your body from illness-causing invaders.
- Maintains body fluid levels.
- Absorbs digestive tract fats.
- Removes cellular waste.
What is the lymph?
The lymph is a clear fluid that contains nutrients and oxygen similar to blood, but without the red and white corpuscles. It is deposited around the cells to keep them nourished. The cells are able to discard waste and toxic materials into this fluid. However, it flows slower than blood and is easily saturated by factors such as a sedentary lifestyle and poor diet. For this reason, MLD is so important because it helps to release any obstruction from the lymphatic system.
What are the benefits of MLD?
Manual lymphatic drainage has significant benefits for different health areas and purposes; for this reason, nowadays more health practitioners recommend it as part of their treatments. Some of these benefits are:
- Stimulates kidney functions.
- It’s useful for the treatment of blood circulation problems (venous insufficiency).
- Helps to reduce lymphatic problems.
- Stimulates the immune system, increasing the body’s own defenses.
- Helps to protect your body against bacteria and viruses as it works in conjunction with the immune system.
- It has a calming effect on the autonomic nervous system.
- Its direct effect on the parasympathetic system generates a relaxing effect.
- Tones the intestine, which helps fight constipation.
- Regulates the body’s water balance.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Reduces stress
- Helps to prepare your muscles for physical effort, this allows greater performance and better recovery.
- Reduces pain and inflammation.
After surgical procedures
- It helps to eliminate fluids accumulated during and after the procedure.
- Help to reduce pain caused by the excess of fluids
- Reduces bruises that can appear after a liposuction procedure or other surgical procedures.
- Prevents seroma.
- Reduces fibrosis.
- Speeds up the recovery process.
- Reduces swelling.
- Reduces cellulite. It reduces fat deposits and stimulates circulation, as a result, it improves the condition of orange peel.
- Improves the condition of tired legs.
- Reduces problems associated with fluid retention, poor circulation, and localized fat.
- Helps reduce varicose veins.
- Hydrates the skin and helps to revitalize it, considerably reducing wrinkles and stretch marks.
- Helps with shape definition.
Certainly, these effects can be achieved thanks to the movements and gentle pressure that favor cellular rejuvenation and the elimination of waste.
What to expect after the MLD?
First, thanks to the stimulation of kidney function your urine could become darker and smelly for one or two days. Second, as MLD removes toxins through the urine it’s normal that your urination frequency increases for a few hours after the massage. Third, swelling and inflammation will decrease. In addition, you will experience an amazing body relaxation and a feeling of general well-being. However, you could feel very tired and heavy after the drainage as your body is trying to get rid of the toxins. Most importantly, remember that at Perea Clinic you can find the best professionals in MLD, we hope to see you soon!
We hope this information is useful for you. If you need advice or have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us 3 mins away from Angel station in Islington. We are always happy to help. If you like this blog, please share!