100th Annual Bike Week: 5 Benefits of Regular Cycling
The 100th annual Bike Week is marking a century of celebrating everyday cycling for all of us. For that reason I want to share with you 5 benefits that cycling brings to our health and general wellbeing (but there are more!). Get involved with Bike Week 100 for all days of your life and encourage your friends, family and mates to do the same!
Cycling is a low-impact, aerobic exercise. People of all ages (little kinder to older adults) can enjoy this healthy outdoor or indoor activity. Besides its multiple health benefits (that I will mention next); cycling is fun, cheap and eco-friendly. Let´s go deeper…
- is a low-impact as it causes less strain and injuries than other forms of exercise.
- is an excellent muscle workout. It uses all of the major muscle groups, specially the lower part of your body.
- One you learn how to ride a bike, you won’t forget.
- increases strength, muscle tone, physical and mental health.
- improves mental health. Reduces stress and anxiety.
- is a fun way to get fit and healthy because you can practice it in the place you prefer the most.
- is Good for the environment. Bikes don´t produce emissions!
- Time-efficient for short/middle distances (or long distances, it´s up to you!).
- Don´t forget to use your bike to go home, work, school, etc. I t is one of the cheapest means of transport.
5 Health Benefits of Cycling
Regular cycling might protect you from serious diseases (e.g. heart attack, depression, some types of cancer); get fit and avoid chronic conditions like diabetes, obesity, arthritis etc. Let´s have a look…
1.Reduces risks of cardiovascular conditions
While cycling, your heart, blood vessels and lungs work toguether making you breathe deeper, rise your body temperature and sweat, improving your lung capacity and blood flow.
2.Reduces cholesterol levels
Regular cycling may boost your good (HDL) cholesterol while lowering the “badone”(LDL) and triglyceride levels.
3.Loose weight and get muscle tone
Your overall fitness level will be improved. In other words, you will lose weight, strengthen your low body- specially quads, glutes, hamstrings, and calves.
4.Reduce cancer risk or relapse
Researches showed that risks of bowel, breast and other types of cancer is reduced.
5.Decrease risk of bone injuries, arthritis and improve joint mobility
Cycling improves your strength, balance and coordination. As a result falls and fractures chances will be lower. Cycling is fantastic for osteoarthritis or similar conditions because it is a low-impact exercise that places little stress on joints.
We hope this information is useful for you. If you need advice or have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us in Mill Hill Broadway and Islington. We are always happy to help. If you like this blog, please share!