What is mammoplasty/breast augmentation?
Mammoplasty or a breast augmentation procedure is a surgery in which implants are placed under your breast tissue or chest muscles.
Mammoplasty: Why is it performed?
Some of the most common reasons are:
- improve your self-confidence
- rebuild the breast after a previous condition, for example breast cancer
- help with asymmetry (when each breast has a different and notable size)
Breast: augmentation: What are the risks?
Some of the most common risk are:
- Breast pain
- Changes in nipple position
- Breast sensation changes
- Implant position changes
- Implant leakage or rupture
Some of these complications may need further surgery to correct them. Other patients may need their implants to be removed or replaced. However a post-surgery treatment can help you reduce these risks and get faster and better outcomes.
What can I expect during surgery?
- The breast augmentation surgery must be performed by a certified surgeon.
- Few cases this kind of surgery requires you to stay at the hospital.
- Usually, your surgeon uses general anesthesia.
The surgeon will perform the surgery following these steps:
- Make an incision.
- Separate your breast tissue from the muscles and the connective tissue of your chest to create a pocket in the pectoral muscle.
- Insert the implant in this pocket.
- Center the implant behind your nipple.
- Close the incision with stitches (sutures) and bandage (surgical tape).
Sutures that don’t absorb on their own or if drainage tubes were placed near your breasts, your surgeon will give you a follow-up appointment to remove them.
Mammoplasty: Types of implants
There are two types of implants, your surgeon will advise you what is best according to your needs.
- Saline are inserted empty and then filled with sterile salt water once they’re in place.
- Silicone are pre-filled with silicone gel.
Mammoplasty: What next?
After the procedure you can expect:
- Soreness and swelling for a few weeks.
- Bruising (in some cases).
- Scars will fade, but not disappear completely.
- Wear a sports bra for extra support and positioning of the breast implants.
- Avoid activities that raise your blood pressure.
- Pain medication will be prescribed by your surgeon.
- Your breast will be pretty sensitive.
- Your surgeon will give you instructions to return to your daily activities.
Start as soon as possible (with your surgeon authorization) your post-op treatment in order to speed up your recovery process, be more comfortable while healing and get better results.
Visit your surgeon if you notice:
- warmth and redness in your breast (sign of infection)
- fever (sign of infection)
- noticeable infection
- shortness of breath
- chest pain
How to heal faster and have better and long-lasting results?
It is normal after breast augmentation procedure to notice hardness, water retention, swelling, hematoma or lumpiness on treated areas. In addition to the aftercare you do at home, book your post-surgery aftercare treatment as soon as possible to get better, faster and long lasting results.
Our Post surgery treatment (MLD, different massage styles, garment advice and aesthetic appliances) helps you to:
- Reduce swelling, bruisers, lumps.
- Ease pain.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Be more comfortable while healing.
- Drain excess fluids or avoid fluid retention.
- It will give you a sensation of calm and comfort.
- Shape your body.
- Speed up the recovery process.
- Increase wound healing.
- Have better and long lasting results.
The post- op massage, helps your body contouring, reduces fibrosis and helps you have better and faster outcomes.
Manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) helps to move the fluid by gently pumping it back into the lymph vessels, reducing the swelling, retention of fluids and pain after the surgery.
Without Lymph Massage (MLD) the inflammation can evolve into fibrosis (a permanent hardening of the tissue) or a seroma (pocket of serum).
Aesthetic appliances are used to improve the results of your surgery but also to treat fibrosis, edema, seroma and bruisers.
Garment advice. Having the correct garment (sports bra or compression bandage) is key to get the best results. An incorrect or badly fitted garment can lead to seroma and fibrosis.
What you should look for…
Take into account that your body is different from others, so what works for other people may not work on you. Also, each person is different and responds in a different way to each treatment. For this reason, our treatment is tailor made session by session. All what we do is based on your needs, the way your body responds and the evolution you have.
What we do to tailor your treatment:
- First, the professional should observe what your body needs.
- Then, evaluate the condition of your recovery process in each session.
- Finally, evaluate how you respond to any appliance used on the treated area.
According to this evaluation, the professional will decide what works best on you and how to continue with your treatment. If you are far away from our Clinic and can’t visit us, seek a clinic near that creates your treatment based on your needs not on what they want to sell. Last but not least, the place you choose must treat you as you deserve! Always look for what treats you better!
A final word
You may love how your breasts look after this procedure, but it can take time and you may not feel like your normal self for months after the surgery. On the other hand, Exercise, diet and MLD will help you speed up your healing process and to maintain the results.
We hope this information is useful for you. If you need advice or have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us 3 mins away from Angel station in Islington. We are always happy to help. If you like this blog, please share!