Post-surgery Treatment: Benefits of Manual Lymphatic Drainage after Chin liposuction
Most people may think that liposuction was created for belly fat; however, as you may know, it can be performed in any part of the body. One of the most unknown areas is the chin. Yes, as you read, Chin Liposuction!. This procedure helps you to get rid of fat under your chin. In this blog, I want to share with you the most important issues related to this surgery and why is so important to start your post surgery treatment (Manual Lymphatic Drainage MLD) after it. Shall we start?
What is Chin liposuction?
Chin liposuction also known as Submental Liposuction or “Chin Lipo” is an aesthetic procedure used to reduce the appearance of a “double chin” by removing the fat under your chin and neck area.
What are the results of a submental liposuction?
It gives you a sculpted and better-defined neckline. Chin liposuction, also known as submental liposuction is a cosmetic surgical procedure that is designed to remove excess fat from the chin and neck area.
What are the benefits of chin lipo?
- Decreased appearance of sagging chin and neck skin.
- More definition along chin/neck area.
- More youthful and refreshed appearance.
- Decreased appearance of folds around neckline.
Who is a good candidate for chin liposuction?
Good candidates for chin Liposuction are:
- Patients with “double chin” , appearance due to excess fat cells around their neck.
- Those who want to increase jawline definition and create a more youthful appearance.
- People who want to reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Healthy weight patients, but cannot get rid of excess fat under chin with diet or exercise.
What can I expect during a chin lipo procedure?
Choose a certified plastic surgeon . During this consultation you will talk about goals and expected results.
According to your preferences and the extension of the surgery, it can be performed under general or local anaesthesia. It will be discussed with your surgeon during the previous consultation
Most incisions are placed behind your ear and under your chin. They are quite small so won´t be noticed.
First, your surgeon will do the incisions, then, insert the cannula (a thin and hollow tube. She/he uses the cannula to break up and suction out the fat.
- Close incisions
After removing the unwanted fat, your surgeon will close the incision with sutures or surgical tape.
Post-op side effects
These are quite normal postoperative side effects that you can see in almost all types of liposuctions:
- Mild Bleeding/Drainage
- Sensory Changes in Skin (in few cases)
- submental depression ( looks like a hole under your chin),
- submental edema;
- hypertrophic scar formation (thick raised scar-abnormal response to wound healing);
- scar contracture (the skin that surrounds the healing wound starts to pull together resulting in a contracture);
- cervical necrotizing fasciitis (soft and connective tissue infection that produces thrombosis followed by skin necrosis);
- nerve paralysis.
Why should I use MLD after chin liposuction?
Manual Lymphatic drainage after chin liposuction is an important part of the post-operative care process. It helps avoid and get rid of the post-op side effects; while promoting the healing process and improving outcomes.
MLD is a specialised massage that involves light, rhythmic strokes and gentle pressure technique that targets your lymphatic system, which plays a crucial role in maintaining fluid balance and removing waste products from the body (in this case chin and neck). It also helps to:
- Reduce swelling, bruising and water retention.
- Avoid or treat seromas and fibrosis.
- Reduce stress and anxiety after surgery.
- Speed up the recovery process.
- Reduce pain.
- Stimulates kidney functions.
- It’s useful for the treatment of blood circulation problems (venous insufficiency).
- Reduce or treat lymphatic problems.
- Stimulates the immune system, increasing the body’s own defenses.
- Helps to protect your body against bacteria and viruses as it works in conjunction with the immune system.
- It has a calming effect on the autonomic nervous system.
- Its direct effect on the parasympathetic system generates a relaxing effect.
- Tones the intestine, which helps fight constipation.
- Regulates the body’s water balance.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- And the list continues, know more benefits click here
To keep in mind…
Chin liposuction is intended for those with excess fat, wrinkling, or lack of a jawline due to excess skin tissue. Remember that recovery from this type of surgery is different for each person. For that reason, it’s essential to be patient and follow your surgeon’s recommendations and the guidance of your therapist throughout the post-op treatment.
In addition, please, avoid to do the MLD by yourself because it can lead to complications, always look for a professional therapist who treats you better!
We hope this information is useful for you. If you need advice or have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us in Mill Hill Broadway and Islington. We are always happy to help. If you like this blog, please share!