Mindful hydration: Do you think about the amount of water you drink and why?
Adults need between 2-3 liters of water per day while children need 1.9 -2.1L. However, the amount is individually based on your weight, the place you live (weather), the amount of exercise you do, and so on. But always take into account that if you are thirsty, then you are already dehydrated.
Good hydration is key for our life and normal physical and mental function. That is the reason why you should think and be conscious about how much water you are drinking. In this blog, I explain what Mindful hydration is and also give you some tips to be well hydrated. Let´s start…
What is mindful hydration?
According to Dr. Bill Howatt “Mindful hydration is the act of being fully present and aware of the sensations while drinking water”.
Remember that Mindfulness is the ability to be fully present in the moment. It is when you have awareness of all of your senses, being open and supportive to yourself and what surrounds you. It´s when you pay attention to our thoughts without judgment with the intention of kindness.
What are the benefits of Mindful hydration?
Human body is 70% water so it needs a regular supply of it to function properly. Some of the benefits of Mindful hydration are:
- Calms and grounds your mental state
- Improves gut health
- Improves sleep quality
- Reduces stress levels
- Decreases migraine or headache risks
- Improves mood and cognitive functioning
- Increases blood flow
- Increases energy levels
- Boosts productivity
- Improves your concentration
- Lower levels of depression
- And of course, it keeps you well hydrated
How can I hydrate using Mindfulness?
Whole process, it could take more than 1 minute (90sec approx.)
- Have the intention to take a mental break to hydrate.
- Look for a place where you can be alone or where you can pay no attention to other things, and get comfortable.
- Bring your attention inside and give yourself permission to take one minute for yourself.
- Take three deep breaths and exhale slowly till you empty your lungs.
- On the last breath put your hand on your bottle or glass.
- Look at the water and be present at the moment.
- Then, take a sip and hold it in your mouth.
- Pay attention to the water and the space it fills in your mouth, the temperature and how you feel.
- After that, let the water go down your throat slowly.
- Repeat the process as many times as you want.
- Remember, one mouthful of water at a time!
Short cut for beginners
- Take your glass/ bottle of water and observe how the water looks inside the recipient.
- Drink and hold it in your mouth. Think about how water feels in your mouth and the temperature it has.
- Swallow the water with intent and feel the sensations in your throat. This changes the habitual act of just dinking water into a mindful and meditative experience.
In short, when you Mindful hydrate (hydrate with intention) you have an opportunity to positively impact your physical and mental health.
We hope this information is useful for you. If you need advice or have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us 3 mins away from Angel station in Islington. We are always happy to help. If you like this blog, please share!