3 tips to treat your cellulite at home
Treating cellulite to get rid of it becomes a matter of increasing concern at this time of the year. The days are getting longer, the sun is shining (occasionally), and your winter clothes will be stored away. However, the downside of the summer wardrobe is the increased exposure to bare skin, that´s why we have these tips to treat cellulite at home.
You might think that is unfair that women get more cellulite than men. This is due to the difference in fat, muscle, and connective tissue distribution. Almost 90% of women have it at some point in their life. Some women develop it after puberty due to the change in hormones. Contrary to what most people think, cellulite happens to women of all shapes and sizes and age. So don´t worry about your cellulite because there are different things you can do at home to get rid of it.
How is cellulite formed?
Our body has fibrous connective bands that tie up our skin to the underlying muscle. Fat cells and toxins can accumulate and lie between them. So as the accumulation of fat cells and toxins increases, they push the connective bands down, causing an uneven surface or dimpling (cellulite) appearance on the surface of the skin. This is something we tend to see on tights, hips, buttocks, arms or belly.
What are the causes of cellulite?
There are different factors that could influence the appearance of cellulite such as:
- Ageing, when the skin loses elasticity (collagen).
- Weight gain or weight fluctuation can make cellulite more noticeable.
- Genetics might play the biggest role in whether you develop cellulite or not.
- Lifestyle inactivity increases your chances of having cellulite.
- High oestrogen levels.
- Thinning skin in the epidermis (outer layer), which can cause deeper fatty tissues to become more prominent.
- Increased inflammation or poor circulation in the body
How bad is my cellulite?
The appearance of your cellulite can be graded. There are three grades of cellulite appearance:
- First grade or mild: You have smooth skin while lying down and standing up.
- Second grade or moderate: You have smooth skin while lying down, but some dimpling appears while standing.
- Third grade or severe: Dimpling appears while you are standing and lying down.
How can I reduce my cellulite at home?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a magic formula to get rid of cellulite. There are treatments you can do or products you can use to help improve cellulite appearance. The changes don’t happen overnight.
Therefore, you need to be consistent and consistency is the key to see results. If you use products you need to massage the affected area for at least 5 mins or until the skin starts looking pink, to activate the circulation and to allow the product to be absorbed.
The massages should be performed with firm, strong and fast movements and it needs to be done daily for the first two weeks. If you find the techniques tiring you can look for a professional anti- cellulite massage to help you with the problem. Also, you need to combine the massages with exercise, diet and changes in lifestyle.
For better outcomes, you should combine aerobic exercise and strength training. These will help you burn body fat and gain muscle tone. In a muscular body the skin looks and feels smoother and firmer.
Change your lifestyle:
Healthy habits and a balanced diet will lead you to have better health, main your weight and reduce cellulite.
- Increase your fiber intake
- Reduce processed and high-sugar foods, they lead to the accumulation of toxins and fat in your body.
- Increased water intake, dehydration can make cellulite more noticeable. (8 glasses per day is ok)
- Avoid drinking and smoking, the accumulation of toxins increases cellulite.
It helps you to exfoliate dead cells from the surface of the skin and enhances lymphatic drainage and circulation. Things you have to consider:
- Use a natural-bristle brush.
- Dry-brush your body daily for at least 3 minutes.
- Apply enough pressure to stimulate circulation, but not so much to irritate the skin.
- Do circular movements in the direction towards the heart.
We hope this information is useful for you. If you have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us 3 mins away from Angel station in Islington. If you like this blog, please share!
We are always happy to help.