Anxiety: How to turn it off !
During the Mental Health Awareness week, 2023, we would like to share with you the most important aspects of anxiety witch is one of the most common mental health conditions of our times; and what are the best massage to get relief.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is the natural response of our brain (and body) to the unknown or what makes us uncomfortable. It is a normal emotion. However, when it gets out of control (when stops you from doing what you have to) is when we talk about a mental health condition that needs treatment. It is important to control anxiety before it becomes overwhelming.
What can trigger anxiety?
There are many factors that can trigger anxiety, but the most common are:
- being unable to attend special needs like: food, money, family, etc.
- something new (e.g. a new job, getting married, meeting new people, etc.)
- social isolation
- social pressure
- discrimination, bullying, etc.
Symptoms of anxiety?
You may feel some of these:
- hard to relax
- sadness or tearful
- have sleeping problems
- lack of concentration
- uncontrollable panic to some events or people.
How can I deal with anxiety?
Some of the most effective home treatments to relief anxiety and improve your mood are:
- Never stop moving, yep! Be active (exercise)
- Spend some time in nature (walk on the grass, hug trees) all your energy and emotions can flow back to mother nature.
- If you can go outside, you can have inner plants, the comfort sensation they give is amazing.
- Be surrounded by animals or children, they energy fulfill your heart and relieve the good mood hormones in your brain.
- Share with the people you love. It is the best antidepressant you can have ( But NEVER FORGET TO look for professional advise).
- Regular massage (human touch) has many benefits for your mental health and general wellbeing.
What is the best massage for anxiety?
The best massage for anxiety is the one that you can do regularly and you feel comfortable with. Massage is about more than just pampering yourself or recovering from injury. What massage do for your mental health is outstanding! some of the most important long term benefits of regular massage are:
- stress control (reduces cortisol “stress hormone”)
- reduces anxiety and depression (by releasing “the good mood hormones”)
- increases serotonin, endorphin, oxytocin and dopamine levels (good mood hormones)
- improves mood and happiness
- relieve chronic pain
- helps to overcome insomnia
- calms migraines
- lowers blood pressure
- boosts your immune and endocrine system
- helps your body to keep warm
- relaxes you
Some types of massage to turn off anxiety
Hot deep tissue massage
It uses heated stones and hands to manipulate the muscle tissue in order to ease tension and relieve stress and anxiety.
It involves the use of a specialist chair. These are taken into the workplace. They allow the you to fully relax whilst your body weight is fully supported and what is best, it goes to your own office.
It is a type of massage which is taught as a part of syllabus in degrees such as Sports Therapy or Sports Rehabilitation. However, it is used to get general relax too.
Aromatherapy massage is a type of Swedish massage. It focuses on relaxation and mindfulness. Its benefits are achieved by the combination of manual therapy and essential oils (each fragrance is chosen according to your needs).
It uses firm techniques on your head, face, neck and shoulders to relieve tension. As a result you will feel relax, calm and with a sensation of general wellbeing.
There are more for moms! Postpartum massage
In a few words, a postpartum massage is a style of massage performed all over your body, using special essential warm oils, after your baby was born. Your therapist will take your medical history and create a tailored treatment according to your needs.
We hope this information is useful for you. If you need advice or have any questions about our treatments, please contact us. You can find us in Mill Hill Broadway and Islington. We are always happy to help. If you like this blog, please share!